Thursday 15 May 2008

I'll take "Things Found in Europe" for 500, Alex.

Man that's a clever title! Also self-explanatory, so as promised on Tuesday, here are some of the things I discovered that I could use whilst on my adventures in Europe, and where I found them:

Rome
1. A cultural sense that everything must fall someday for my dwarves.
2. A sense that everything will last forever for some of my humans.
3. A culture that builds religious buildings that show their own glory, rather than that of their God, for my elves.
4. The realization that I should really draw maps of my cities, even if only for my own benefit
5. Fruit trees (to be discussed in a later blog post)

Paris
1. The realization that some beauty simply cannot be captured in photos, and even words will struggle with it.

Germany
1. Some windows for a house in my novel

Prague
1. Cliffs covered in yellow flowers--don't know where they'll go, but they'll fit somewhere.

Stockholm
1. (While looking out the window of the plane as it took off) A good description for the River of Souls that's so important to my book.
2. The realization that I need to go on a tallship cruise

It doesn't seem like a lot for three weeks, especially what with so much being front-loaded in Rome, but on the whole I still came away feeling like I got a lot out of it---especially given all the distractions I was dealing with, and the things I did get were very valuable.

No comments: