Wednesday 22 October 2008

Delta Philosophy

"Warm yourself by the fire son, and the morning will come soon..."
-Rise Against, Prayer of the Refugee


Apologies for the blog title, but I'm a.) studying for a chemistry exam and b.) feeling a bit whimsical today.

Anyways, I feel a bit obligated to square with you guys on a recent change in my philosophy re: writing. When I began this blog it was with the intent of using it to further my career as a writer, to help build a platform that would be make me more attractive to potential agents. This was at a time in my life when my writing was literally dominating who I was. Every choice I made was made with the goal of getting published in mind.

Over time, I found I was unable to maintain that pace. It slowly but surely drove all the fun and sense of accomplishment out of writing for me. There was no time to ponder how much better I was getting, and given the amount of work I was putting it it felt like an inevitability that I was going to succeed sooner or later--not because what I was writing was any good, but simply because I was going about it in a very calculated and determined manner.

So I've given up on working like a madman and have decided to work at a more sustainable pace--one which I enjoy. What this will mean for my career I'll find out later. I think it will simply postpone its start, as I'll have to frontload a lot of the work that needs to be done before beginning the publishing process (I'm considering, for instance, finishing my entire fantasy trilogy before submitting the first for publishing in order to avoid having to rush through writing the second and the third to get them out on time), but we'll see.

In the meantime, stories of fantasy remain one of my greatest interests and every day brings me closer to a career in the book industry, so I can promise that the blog should stay relevant and interesting, but I felt the need to square with you the reader about where I stand now as a writer.

No comments: