Tuesday 21 October 2008

More Fruits of Research

"Just live your life (hey)"--T.I. Feat. Rhianna, Live Your Life

Alright, first off, apologies for my epic fail on promising to post the most interesting lines I've written each Monday. I finished up writing some more background for my world last week, but I realized that it wouldn't have meant anything to anyone who didn't have some familiarity with Guedin already. I still like the idea of posting some of my writing each week to give you guys an idea of what I'm working on, but I'm not entirely sure how to implement it yet. I'll keep working on it though.

That said, I present on my summer research on Friday! Yay! Or gulp. Whichever you prefer. Either way, it means I'm going through my data more thoroughly than I have yet, and I've discovered a lovely little trick:

Don't name your main character until we know something about him/her.

In all three texts I looked at, the main character was described first (one way or another, even in the anime and videogame), and named later. Upon realizing this, I looked back at my own writing, and realized it was pretty applicable there. Observe the first sentence of my novel (slated to be rewritten anyway, but you'll still get the point of it):

"
In the ancient human metropolis of Eldan City, Litnig Jinn was dreaming."

Now, rewritten:

"
In the ancient human metropolis of Eldan City, a young man was dreaming."

Which would you rather read?

Booyakasha!

No comments: