Thursday 11 December 2008

Inspiration in Strange Places

"Da nanana dana dananana danananananana nananana dananana...."-Darude, Sandstorm
This was posted on the website of my World of Warcraft guild today. I have two things to say about it: first, I want to read that book. Second, it made me remember how it was that I got started writing.

Once upon a time, about two hundred years ago when I was in the first grade, I wrote a story. I'm not entirely clear on the details, but it involved a magic sword, a couple of good friends, and a trip to Uranus. That's right. Uranus. No, I don't think I was aware of how funny that was at the time.

The imaginations of children are pretty incredible things. As I get older, I find it difficult sometimes to let my imagination run wild the way it used to. In some ways that's good--the stories I write are much more logical. In others it's bad, as I'm sure I'm not as creative as I used to be.

Finding a balance between logic and whimsy is an important part of writing, especially writing fantasy, and it's worth taking the time to listen to a real child tell a story every once in awhile if you can just to remember that. If you can't, well, there are always links to funny flash videos on the internet that can simulate the experience for you.

No comments: