Tuesday 4 March 2008

Pen Names

So I've never given much thought to having a pen name. I mean, I like my name. I think it's a pretty good one.

Unfortunately, it is also the name of some actor from Canada who seems to be growing more and more prominent, which I can't help but think may someday cause me problems. A few years ago when I googled my name, there would be one or two hits for this guy. Now the entire first page belongs to him, with two or three entries from IMDB which no amount of effort on my part (except buying an ad, and how weird would that be?) will push off the front page until I'm so famous that nobody needs to google my name anymore.

I've often wondered why authors sometimes go by their initials, but in my case, at any rate, googling J.L. Seymour turns up a whole bunch of nothing. Maybe that's got something to do with it. Pen name, HO!

1 comment:

Mary said...

This post inspired me to do some thorough self-googling. And I no longer come up anywhere in the first few pages - it's all genealogies. Apparently I share a name with the daughter of King Henry VIII's last wife, who may or may not have died at the age of three.