Saturday 19 April 2008

Career Building Can Be Fun

Apologies for not posting yesterday, but I stayed late at work to help my boss and one of the Editors with a capital 'E' (the big wigs) finish a project.

To be honest, I really didn't mind doing it. I'm used to working 10 hour days from my internship last summer, only had to stay half an hour extra, didn't have anything planned for the evening, and was rather enjoying the process of trying to get editorial notes typed up in time to make a courier deadline. It was finally a chance to put to good use the skills that won me a "Fastest Typer" award way back in middle school ;-p. Also a chance to work on my cryptography, as the Editor's handwriting was poor to begin with and got worse the closer we got to the deadline.

But afterwards, as I was getting ready to go home, my boss told me that she and a few co-workers were going out for a drink (it's been a long week at the office) and asked if I wanted to come along.

I don't think I need to tell anyone that that's a no-brainer. A chance to really connect and make friends with an editor (not to mention she's a nice woman I'd like to be friends with anyway)? No thanks, I think I'll go home and make some cheap tortellini instead...

So I went out for a drink, and one drink turned into two, and two drinks turned into 'It's my friend's birthday and they're having the party at this other bar, but you're more than welcome if you want to come'. Which turned into yet more drinks, all on no dinner. So by the time I got home I wasn't really in a state to blog, but I had an absolute blast and really got to know my boss, her boyfriend, and some of his friends. A pretty good day overall, even though I left home at 8:30AM and didn't get back til after midnight.

So what started as an exercise in career building (staying late to help my boss) ended with a great night out on the town and some new friends made. Aws.

No comments: