Sunday 20 April 2008

Useless Characters

Ok, it's the weekend and I don't hold myself to trying to post on Sundays, but I have something to get off my chest.

I've been watching Naruto lately--more as an educational than an entertainment experience. So many people enjoy it so much that I figured I should see why for myself. I'm currently thirty episodes in, and one of the main characters has done nothing.

Literally, she has done absolutely nothing. Every once in awhile she provides some comic relief, but this is a show about ninjas--freakin' ninjas, and she hasn't done anything other than consistently beg the other two main characters to save the day. She's supposed to be a ninja, and not only that but one who is literally at the top of her class, but she has yet to lift a finger more than a season into the show.

I'm sorry, but some things just get my goat, and useless characters are one of them, particularly useless main characters--and especially useless female "damsel-in-distress" main characters. They're dead weight in a story, not to mention morally reprehensible, and if I ever meet someone who's ruined what could otherwise have been a decent story with one of these I will punch them in the face. You've been warned.

No comments: