Tuesday 15 April 2008

Planes and Home on the Road

So, another post gleaned from my European Adventure experience--this one involving feeling at home in the strangest places.

Like crammed into the middle seat of a Ryanair jet. Yep, that's right. I felt at home on a plane. Forget that I hadn't been home for four months, and that I was actually thousands of miles away from it, I felt right at home. Probably because I'm so used to flying home from school that getting on a plane just makes me think of home.

It was a strange moment for me, but also one that I find very pertinent to writing--especially writing in fantasy, where characters often (hell, I'll say always and dare someone to prove me wrong just to get a comment or two on the blog ;-p) travel away from home for extended periods of time.

Some of these characters travel long enough that they should certainly begin to feel more at home on the road than at home itself. An interesting observation and one I found particularly applicable to my own writing.

In other news, I think I had two or three good blog ideas while at work today, but the drone of the copy machine must have drilled them out of my head before I left because I can't remember any of them. Tomorrow I bring my trusty Moleskine along to jot them down in.

No comments: