Monday 16 June 2008

Apologies

I want to apologize for not posting much last week. The long and short of the reason why is that I was just exhausted from work. They've got me reading novels and writing press releases for them, which is great in some ways and pretty rough in others.

First, the good: It's great for understanding how the marketing side of publishing works, which is key to figuring out how to pitch my work. I'm going to get better and better and isolating what a book is really about and how it works as the summer goes on, and that experience will translate directly into being able to pitch my book in a way that catches an editor's attention. It's also not bad resume fodder.

Second, the bad: They've been handing me thrillers and horror. Now, I love a good book as much as the next guy, but my imagination has a tendency to get a bit overactive. I didn't get a solid night's sleep once last week, which is why I just couldn't find the energy to post when I got home from work...all I wanted to do was crash on the couch and hope I could sleep later that night.

But I've finished the horror novel they gave me, and maybe I'll get a romance next. Never thought I'd be hoping for that. ;-p

No comments: