Tuesday 10 June 2008

My Research

Just thought I'd take a minute to let people know what I'm up to with my research this summer.

I'm comparing narrative techniques and character development in Final Fantasy VII, Gundam Wing, and the three original Dragonlance Chronicles books. Aside from the fact that by doing this project I can basically get paid to do things I love, there are a few other reasons why I'm embarking on it.

The first is that I hope through buckling down and really looking at some of my favorite stories with a critical eye I will pick up some tricks to use in my own writing. Like I posted yesterday, I've already discovered one, and I expect to come across a few more as I continue the research.

The second is that it will provide me with something interesting to put in the "about me" section of my query letters and my resume. "I've been a fan of fantasy all my life" doesn't make for a good attention-getter. "I wrote a thesis-length paper comparing storytelling techniques in Anime, fantasy literature, and RPG videogames and have put the things I learned there to use in my own writing" is a bit more interesting. And if I can get it published somewhere (have yet to broach this topic with my advisor, but we'll see...) then so much the better.

The distant third is that I hope, in some small way, to begin to justify fantasy in the eyes of academia. It's not that I hold the opinion of academia in the greatest esteem--but credit should be given where it's due, and one thing I've learned in studying "English Literature" is that only those books which are sanctioned by the highbrow, academic elite will be widely taught in high schools and middle schools (and I'm not talking book reports or independent projects here, but those books actively taught by teachers). As I'm sure everyone remembers, the current fare on offer in those venues isn't always mouth-watering, and the nation as a whole can only benefit by the opening up of more interesting texts.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Also - I just saw this blog post - haven't really read it yet, and am about to head home, but it seemed like it might have some overlap with your research: http://theshiftedlibrarian.com/archives/2008/06/09/gaming-gone-wild.html