Monday 11 August 2008

Where Was This Five Years Ago?

Taking a break from synopses today (don't worry though, there's more to come) because as I was doing my daily blog-reading, I ran across this over at Tor.com.

To sum up, it's a story about a camp for high school kids dedicated completely to world-building, where they got advice from published authors and even a videogame designer. In short, people who build worlds for a living.

There was advice in that little article that I hadn't heard before, even after all my years of trying to learn how to build worlds from as many sources as possible. And that was just in the article. I can't even imagine the head start those kids are going to have on writing sci-fi/fantasy.

Absolutely amazing opportunity for them, and one I wish had been around when I was their age. I went to the Iowa Young Writer's Studio, and that in and of itself was a great experience, but it wasn't focused on sci-fi/fantasy, though my professor there did a much better job of advising me on writing it than any of my highly touted professors since have, and I would loved to have had a more specialized experience.

Really cool stuff out there.

No comments: